Sunday, May 3, 2009

I have been striving to keep this blog as a completely positive space that is focused in many respects on my efforts to get my new business launched.  However, a series of events that began last year have built to a point, a horrible and hurtful point, and I am feeling that I need to document my feelings.  


First, let me proudly say something about myself.  I am a proud member of a wonderful online Wiccan community called Sacred Mists.  I have been a member as of this date almost exactly six years, and I came to Sacred Mists after experiencing several other online Wiccan communities at a time when I was searching for structure and opportunity to learn, and a community of like-minded people.  I did not want the concrete structure and responsibility of membership within a real life coven; rather I wanted a source of information, not a narrow source that would be found within a real life teaching coven (for I did not yet know what particular tradition I would be drawn to), but rather an eclectic collection of information and lessons that would offer the give and take of written answers rather than multiple choice questions, and that would not require me to limit myself to one tradition.  Out of the communities that I sampled, I chose Sacred Mists as the community that I would join.


I am now a Third Degree Dedicant and Second Degree Initiated Priestess at Sacred Mists.  I had no intention of initiating when I first joined the community, but found that the community had become a home to me and so I chose to initiate.  I have grown so much, much more than I had ever thought possible, and I am spiritually fulfilled yet still striving for more.  Not only am I still learning, but I am also teaching within the school associated with the coven, and I am proud of the material that I teach and the caring that I offer within my classes.  I have worked, worked very, very hard, to get to where I am right now.  Anyone who really knows Wicca and lives Wicca will understand what I am saying, for Wicca is about self growth, connection to deity, and connection to the world around us.  No one can teach me or anyone else exactly how to achieve these goals; they can only describe what worked for them.  No, these things cannot be done by reading lessons or listening to others, for sooner or later we each have to do the work and find our way, on our own, in the dark; it is through finding our own unique way that we succeed.  I have found my own way.


I am also proud that I was asked to be a member of the Student Council of Sacred Mists.  I have gained so much through the opportunities presented at Sacred Mists (opportunities that required much hard work in order to manifest, but the opportunities are there just the same), and I relish the chance to pay these gifts forward.


Now, I understand that no community will be perfect for everyone.  I understand that like any other community, there are parts of Sacred Mists that need improvement.  Like the spiritual path it embraces, Sacred Mists is an evolving, growing and changing entity.  The needs of the members of the community are always changing, and most members of the community each work hard and do their part in making Sacred Mists better and better.  But that does not mean that everyone is happy as a student of Sacred Mists.  Despite the fact that the intentions of most are to cause no harm, harm happens, even to the most careful person.


However, there is a Student (I will not post a name) who seems to have made it his duty to cause harm and to continue an ongoing persecution, at every opportunity presented to him.  This Student is posting at every turn exaggerations and mistruths on other websites, and is misusing the power of words and the implicit assumption of truth only to be found within anything that anyone posts on a forum board.  Not only is this Student putting forth untruths and twists of the truth regarding the community that I value, but because I am a part of the governing body and a teacher (a teacher who paid her dues and worked hard in order to be qualified to teach) at Sacred Mists, this Student is putting forth untruths and twists of the truth about me.  


I understand well that to respond to certain kinds of rants is only to feed the rantor.  But that does not mean that I can sit back and not put my feelings out there.  And so, I will document them here, on my own blog.


Sacred Mists is a great place to learn and to connect to others.  There are many opportunities for all who seek.  But like any other school, you only get back what you put into your experiences at Sacred Mists.  Garbage in, garbage out.  If you come to Sacred Mists carrying baggage that you cannot control, you will end up not only sabotaging your own experience, but most likely you will end up hurting others.


There is a small monthly fee to belong to Sacred Mists.  What is wrong with this concept?  Should everyone who feels the desire to share Wicca with others work for free?  Maintaining a large website, a shop associated with the website, and a Student Services office with live, full time employees, takes money.   Sacred Mists also offers scholarships to those students who are particularly needy.  That money needs to come from somewhere.


All who are associated with Student Services, Leadership and the Student Council understand the concept of confidentiality, just like the employees at a doctor’s office understand confidentiality.  But that does not mean that only one person is going to know about issues of particular students, especially when a student is being assisted with a scholarship.  This would be unreasonable to expect.


The people who teach at Sacred Mists have themselves gone through training (whether at Sacred Mists or elsewhere), and have exhibited the trait of immersing themselves into their lessons and of sharing what they have learned with others.  Part of what Sacred Mists teaches its students is how to lead their own group, if that is their desire.  Second and Third Degree students are given the opportunity to teach First and Second Degree students as part of their training.  Of course, the final say in choices of teachers is our High Priestess.  After all, she will receive the flack if there is a problem.


Accusations are flying regarding supposed conversations between this Student and my High Priestess, accusations which seem to be gradually getting twisted and embellished with every telling.  These accusations are also very much out of character with every other interaction that I have had with my High Priestess and with those within Student Services over the past six years.  


I have done my best to see both sides throughout this situation, but this Student has continued to move further and further away from an ethical standard that he should be living by as a Wiccan.  I am disappointed and angry and hurt, for myself and for the community to which I have dedicated myself.  


And I have learned a lesson.  Perfect Love and Perfect Trust is not a sure thing.  Words have incredible power.  I will be even more careful that my words are spoken with Perfect Love and Perfect Trust.  


I have absolutely no problem answering questions about Sacred Mists.


S


2 comments:

  1. Yep I'm guilty of allowing it to get the better of me for a whole 10 minutes LOL
    He simply is not worthy of our frustration and energy darling.
    The reason he got me upset for the whole 10 minutes is because it's more lies about an area I was in charge of and without saying my name directly like he likes to do with Lady he beat around the bush.
    I am guilty as charged for writing a beautiful ritual and meditation that takes new students on a journey through Sacred Mists so they can see some of the history we have...but to seriously say that I was forcing him to 'evoke' Lady is down right rediculous...it's a story meditation!!!
    A brain dead wiccan chicken can see the difference between a meditation that mentions our leader and evoking her.
    And he came to me to be part of this I hardly forced him into submission LOL
    Oh well....that 10 minutes I can't get back but i'm making up for it now by laughing myself silly at all of it.
    If you don't like a person you don't stab them...you just don't be around them...if you don't like a place you don't go there. DOH!
    It's not brain surgery folks.
    I think the reason this gets to us is that we thought we knew him and this is definately someone we didn't know like we thought we did.
    Let karma deal with it love bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support, Hon. You know me; I tend to try to fix the world, but when someone insists on perpetuating an "ugly," I need to just back off.

    Which is what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete