Friday, May 12, 2017

December 4, 2016: Meditation



Since meditation is one practice that encourages the process of Fermentation, here is a bit if information I found on the internet regarding meditation:

"It is know that during meditation exalted feelings and unusual observations can happen. In essence there are two kinds of observations. The first one is wanting to escape the discipline of meditation, which Zen practitioners call makyo. Makyo are illusions we project onto reality in order to escape the guidelines of meditation. For example, the object of meditation is starting to radiate with a wonderful light or color, or it expands and contracts rhythmically. One starts to feel lighter or heavier, or one feels pleasant energies going through the body. All kinds of sensations can happen. Many meditators are readily distracted by these phenomena, and even take great interest in them, thereby neglecting the real purpose of their meditation. One needs to be aware of this.

A second cause of distraction is a change in consciousness whereby we look at the world in a different way than we did in the past. It can be quite a shock reverberating on the psychic or bodily level. The accompanying feelings can be quite wonderful. But the advice is: enjoy it, do not take it seriously, and continue with the meditation.

Visions are also distracting. Many wise men and mystics have pointed to this kind of danger. 'We should not long for or expect visions. With all our power we should refrain from them and look at them with suspicion.' (Ignatius of Loyola). They always stress that visions of lights, of angels, yes even of the great masters, should be neglected, because they block inner progress.”

Okay, it seems that I am to accept whatever comes up, but not allow any ideas, visions or sensations to derail or distract.  Easier said than done, in some circumstances.  

My Dreams of Gaia Tarot card for today is the Eight of Fire reversed.  The keywords for this card are action, change, transformation, transmutation, rebirth, freedom, renewal, purpose, and joy.  Basically, this card represents the transformation that comes to us through taking action.  Oh, I understand this one!  Thinking about bringing about change, planning and itemizing a list of steps to take, can be exciting, but it is only once we choose to start doing things, to take actions so we can cross items off that plan that we actually feel as if we are accomplishing something.  In an upright position, this card tells us to get up off the couch and get to work so we can be empowered.  However, my card is reversed today, which means it is reminding me that doing nothing is a choice, too, and in this instance change is going to hammer no matter what.  If I want skins in the game, I can’t allow fear or lethargy to hold me back or I will have to live with an outcome over which I have no input.    Another possible interpretation for a reversed Eight of Fire could be to look carefully before I leap.  Sometimes impulse brings a thinking-out-of-the-box result, but occasionally a look before leaping prevents an injury.  

It is interesting to me that on a day during which I am focusing on inner, meditative work my Dreams of Gaia gives me a card about taking physical action, but in a reversed position.  Could my reversed Eight of Fire be encouraging me to take action in a non-physical manner?? 

$>

No comments:

Post a Comment