Thursday, April 9, 2015

4/6/15: Prince/Knight of Cups reversed and Ten of Cups reversed

Back to the Thoth Tarot!  The cards I threw today are the Prince of Cups reversed and the Ten of Cups (“Satiety”) reversed. 

The Prince/Knight of Cups (cusp of Aquarius, “I know,” friendships, the group, cause-oriented, and Pisces, “I believe,” feelings, duality, suffering, soul growth) is about feeling things strongly and without restraint or grounding.  This Prince appears calm to others, but inwardly he feels things strongly. This makes sense when you consider that within the Thoth Tarot, he represents Air of Water.  The message here is that whether upright or reversed, my Prince indicates that I tend to respond deeply to life’s events, and that intensity will have an effect on my day.

The Thoth Prince of Cups is not a comfortable card.  You would think that all those blues and greens would be serene, but actually the image of this Prince bursts out towards us.  This Prince is riding on a vehicle powered by what looks like a huge eagle, for Pete’s sake.  How serene could that possibly be?!  I love the way DuQuette characterizes this image: worthy of a comic book cover. 

The Ten of Cups (Mars, action, spontaneity, aggression, drive, in Pisces, “I believe,” feeling, duality, spirituality, suffering and growth) in an upright position offers the manifestation of happiness, simple joys, and fulfillment. The number Ten is about the completion of a cycle or manifestation, and the suit of Cups is about emotions, feelings and the inner self, so this card offers the bounty that comes with the successful experiencing of all the lessons of the Cups cards.

To Crowley, this is not necessarily a happy card.  He saw this one as “sinister,” and representing a sort of “morbid hunger”; not quite the fluffy joy-joy-joy interpretation offered by many, eh?  Again, DuQuette hits the nail on the head when he says that “[t]he Ten of Cups could have been filled with the realization of the potential of the suit of Cups.  Instead, it is just filled with the concept of fullness.”  So perhaps in a reversed position, this one is not too bad, eh?

Okay, there is a clear message for today: don’t let my emotions take control, because they might be a bit out of balance.  Because my Prince is reversed, I do need to keep in mind that the “cartoon-like” emotions of the day just might be detrimental.  I should not rely on my ability to see the truth in any emotions that present themselves.  Because my Ten of Cups is reversed, there is the potential for the possibility of emotional exhaustion at some point, which could make my emotional tolerance reach the end of it’s rope (and I apologize for the mixed metaphors).  All this emotional bouncing around could set up stress or crankiness.  Take a breath, and step away.  I just read this one on the internet, and it applies here: “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.  Time to unplug.

$>

No comments:

Post a Comment