Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Two of Pentacles/Death. The Two of Pentacles (Jupiter, expansiveness and growth, justice, fortune, in Capricorn, “I build,” ambition, caution, cunning) reminds me that everything always ebbs and flows. When we first see the meanings behind this Two, we see growth and we see caution; at first these seem to be opposite effects, but that is indicative of the number 2. This card is telling me that at least for today, I should be able to juggle any projects I have already on the fire, but I should be careful not to take on more than I can handle. The Death card corresponds with Water (cold/binds and wet/adapts, and sensitive, imaginative energy that strives to stay the same or take the same course), Scorpio, Nun (fish head; liberation), and the Path between Tiphareth (the hub of the creation process where energies harmonize and focus to illuminate and clarify) and Netzach (the stimulating factors of emotion and inspiration), and tells of voluntary and involuntary transformation or change, of getting rid of what does not work any more, and of an ending that is actually a beginning. I am going to see this combination as optimistic today, and as specific to today. After all, today is Mabon, the Second Harvest, and harvest is about death, but death that has a purpose. For today, I will work hard to reap what I have sown, and I will remember what I have learned already as I prepare to move forward.

My Thoth card is the Seven of Swords reversed. “Futility” is Crowley’s keyword for the upright Seven of Swords (Moon, feelings and emotions, illusion, imagination, in Aquarius, “I know,” friendships, cause-oriented, the group, aloofness), and this one has been appearing almost as often as the Seven of Disks, and mostly through the Thoth Tarot. In an upright position this card tells of the effort to maintain things as we want them, usually through the use of deception and usually to the point of using unethical means. Since my Seven of Swords is reversed, today I will have no problem with stepping out of my comfort zone. This is a card of the intellect, so I do need to be careful even though it is reversed. Ethics are important today, and I should be able to work with others in a good way.

My Legacy card is The Hermit reversed, flavored by the Two of Swords reversed. How is that for a supporting pair?! The Hermit, which corresponds with Earth (cold/binds and dry/shapes, and material, practical and stable energy that is slow to change), Virgo (“I serve,” practical, analytical, work and service oriented, orderly), Yod (open hand, touch), and the Path between Tiphareth (the hub of the creation process where energies harmonize and focus to illuminate and clarify) and Chesed (the place where forms and structure are stabilized and nurtured), in an upright position is about looking within for answers. The Hermit’s message to me is that the journey is the goal, not the destination, and he is telling me that at least at this time, the journey should be a solitary one. I should ask the tough questions today, and look within for the answers. The Two of Swords (Moon, feelings and emotions, illusion, imagination, in Libra, “We are,” partnerships, balance, cooperation) in an upright position can represent a time of not looking or of shutting out the world. Because the Two of Swords reversed is flavoring The Hermit reversed, today will be a day of outer connections, outer focuses, and lessons that spring from outer experiences. No shutting myself away today!! It looks like the energies are good, and I should take advantage of them.

My Pearls of Wisdom Mabon card is the Page of Pentacles. The Page of Pentacles corresponds with the season of Spring (Aries, “I want,” action oriented, enthusiastic, competitive; Taurus, “I have,” sensual, physical, cautious; and Gemini, “I think,” curious, talkative, sociable, dual, intelligent), tells of the ability to manage resources in a responsible manner, but being able to infuse that responsibility with a bit of an open mind that is able to consider new tools and methods. This card is reminding me to be intensely focused on the tasks at hand so that I can become better than ever. Others will benefit from my efforts, but the most benefit will come to me.

My 6-digit date number is 5, the number of motion that dispels stagnation.

My horoscopes: “If you receive a financial windfall, spend it wisely, Sagittarius. Your tendency might be to buy gifts or treat a crowd to a lavish night on the town. But where is the enduring value? Invested carefully, a small chunk of money can grow into a much larger one, which will give you many more options. Be prudent.”

And: “Whatever you're working on at the moment, whether it's business related, personal, or volunteer work, is likely to bring you increased satisfaction on a number of levels. You're enjoying what you do, feeling that you're making a difference, and meeting new friends. Your health continues to glow, and you may be feeling as if nothing can stop you. Watch out for minor upsets - but nothing that will burst your bubble. Enjoy!”

My Shadowscapes Insight today is the Nine of Pentacles. This one has shown up before, and I think its message is repeated as a reminder to me, and as a challenge to take the image on this card a bit deeper. Balancing spiritual needs with the requirements of the physical realms takes focus and the imposition of Will. Gaining a stronger ability to use my Will takes practice and discipline, just like learning to play a musical instrument takes practice and discipline. This Nine of Pentacles is reminding me that in order to enjoy the end result of knowing I am good, I need to work toward that goal every day.

Today is the equinox of Mabon, the Second Harvest. Within the Wheel of the Year, Mabon is considered a Lesser Sabbat, not because it is any less valuable than the Greater Sabbats, but because the solstices and equinoxes represent the time of transformation from one season to another, when the energies are at their weakest in order to allow the seasonal shift to happen. The Greater Sabbats are the Cross-Quarters, and they represent the peaks or the greatest manifestations of the energies of the season; hence the “Greater.”

Despite the fact that this Sabbat focuses on grapes and grain, LOL, or wine and bread, it is a Sabbat that reminds us of balance. After all, today is in theory the last 24-hour period when the hours of darkness are not greater than the hours of light. However, according to my sunrise and sunset calendar, that day, when sunrise and sunset are exactly at the same time, does not happen until the 27th (when sunrise is at 6:51 am and sunset is at 6:51 pm). Astronomically, the equinox happens on the 23rd at 5:05 am, when the sun crosses the equator and heads to the Southern Hemisphere for the season. **smile** The transformation is a gradual thing, but it is happening.

Mabon is an ancient celebration of the harvest; in past times, a Harvest King and Harvest Queen were crowned at the beginning of the celebrations, to be earthly receptacles of the God and Goddess, the energies of the Sacred Masculine and the Sacred Feminine, throughout the harvest celebrations. This is the last Sabbat of the year where such balance between masculine and feminine can be found, for the next Sabbat, Samhain, celebrates the death of the God and the end of the influences of the energies of the Sacred Masculine until Yule and the rebirth of the sun.

I am seeing signs of Fall everywhere. I saw two golden eagles yesterday while driving up from Cape May, one when I first got onto the Parkway and one at mile marker 98; the Fall migration southward of the raptors is in full swing. The nights have been cool, the daytime skies have been that intense blue that only happens in the Fall. The beaches are empty at Cape May, as are the streets. No lineup of cars parked in front of rental houses, and no people packing up on Saturday mornings.

The sun is still warm, bordering on hot on many days, but the shadows are long and the light is slanted at 2 pm, rather than at 5 pm. I am waiting for the leaves to begin changing; soon enough green will fade to yellow, and then to orange and scarlet and brown.

I have had a very busy Summer, filled with fun and friends and family. But I am beginning to feel the need to begin processing it all, so I can file safely away the things that have benefitted me, that have helped me to grow and evolve, and put out into the trash the things that have outlived their usefulness.

I am blessed with a bounty of gifts.

Mabon Blessings and Blessed Be!

$>

No comments:

Post a Comment