Friday, January 1, 2021

January 1, 2021: 6 of Wands and Knight of Chalices


Happy New Year!  Welcome, those who are just joining me.  A bit of a recap: I am back and blogging again because I stumbled across a really powerful Tarot deck called the Decameron Tarot.  I have been looking for an erotic deck to add to my collection for some time, and I had just about given up hope of ever finding one that spoke to me.  This deck, published by Lo Sarabeo, is an erotic deck based on a collection of novellas of the same name (The Decameron) written by 14th century Italian author, poet and Renaissance humanist Giovanni Boccaccio.  The Decameron (the book) takes place in Florence during the Black Death.  There is a great Wikipedia entry that explains the book in more detail, if you want to know more about the background behind the deck.  The Decameron Tarot deck has awesome erotic Renaissance-style artwork by Gracinto Gaudenzi.  I really like this deck because of its erotic imagery, and because the card meanings are just different enough to make me think.  If you are uncomfortable with erotic or sexual imagery, this may not be the blog for you right now.

Onward!  I am throwing two cards a day, an Inner Focus card and an Outer Focus card.  While I am throwing cards each day, I don't think I will make it here every day, but as you can see by my entries so far, I am here often.  

My Inner Focus card for today is the 6 of Wands, one of the two cards I threw on December 11, when I started blogging about this awesome deck.  On that day, the 6 of Wands was my Outward Focus card, so we will be perceiving its message in a different way today.  The image on the card shows several well-maintained structures with thatched roofs, one of which appears to be a church, all located on a hill covered with healthy growth, appearing green and golden as if late Summer.  A tree to the left of the image is heavy with fruit.  A figure walks up the hill toward the structures, carrying some kind of took, with his or her back to the viewer.  The key phrases for this card are: married life, privacy, and everyday love.

My Outer Focus card is the Knight of Chalices.  This card image shows a fully armored knight with his visor down and gaze forward, riding a brown steed with white socks, holding a spear.  He does not appear to be in a hurry but he is moving forward steadily along a path strewn with a few stones, but nothing too dangerous.  Riding behind him with her hands on the knight's waist is a naked woman.  She is turning back to look at the viewer, and she has a smile on her face.  In the distance are green hills; on top of one of the hills is a large castle surrounded by a strong wall and corner towers.  In the foreground on a large flat stone in an area that the horse and riders have already passed is a silver Chalice; around the Chalice is coiled a green snake.  The key phrases associated with this card are: your lover is defenseless and must cross hostile lands to be with you; watch for betrayal, for the future is risky.  

My Inner Focus card is verifying that with me I see my marriage and my home life as a good one.  I work for The Hubs, and we work well together.  We are both doing okay despite Covid, and we are both very aware that our money situation could change on a dime during this pandemic, so we are being careful.  We are surrounded by friends and family.  All is good as far as my own well-being.  It is the Outer Focus that makes me sit up and take notice, for although it is not telling me to panic, it is telling me that something might not be as perfect as it seems.  The path on which the couple are traveling is pretty well cleared, and on either side of the path are grasses and wildflowers.  It is hard to tell if they are heading toward that castle on the hill in the background, or just traveling past it.  Either way, we can assume that moving forward, things should be pretty safe in the area of that castle.  The chalice and snake in the foreground, however, send a different message.  In the Tarot, the snake can represent sexuality and temptation, but it can also represent having authority over energy; the traditional images of several other cards contain a snake, such as The Magician, The Lovers and The Hermit.  Since the snake is actually coiled around the Chalice, it is obvious that in this card the snake is connected to the basic meaning of the suit of Chalices, which in the Decameron Tarot is all the correspondences of the element of Water, and the soul.  

The knight is facing forward with his visor down, and that means his vision is limited.  The woman is facing backward, and that means she cannot see where they are going, only where they have been.  I need to be aware that temptations will present themselves and try not to let them blindside me.  I can't be overly confident right now or assume that things are going well just because I feel safe and secure.  I need to be aware of the danger of temptation of all kinds, and I need to have a clear plan moving forward, a plan that is created with past experiences in mind, but also with a broad view of the future and with the ability to adapt to whatever shows up.  


No comments:

Post a Comment