Thursday, July 23, 2015

7/23/15 Nine of Pentacles and King of Swords

I was drawn to my Shadowscapes Tarot today and the beautiful images on these lovely cards.  My cards are the Nine of Pentacles and the King of Swords. 

The Nine of Pentacles (Venus, beauty, allure, relationships, in Virgo, “I serve,” practical, analytical, work and service oriented) tells of accomplishment through the imposition of discipline.  The Nine of Pentacles sometimes reminds me of The Empress, and in a lot of ways this card in an upright position can be seen as a Minor Arcana version of The Empress. 

The image on the Shadowscapes Nine of Pentacles shows a woman seated in front of a piano that appears to be a part of a tree, playing for her own pleasure.  The trees are green, and the branches appear to be leaning over and spiraling toward the piano and its player.  Music and the playing of a musical instrument is a great metaphor for the energies of this card; after all, playing the piano takes discipline, but once we’ve got the hang of it we can enjoy what we’ve accomplished.  This kind of discipline is important today, and applying it just might bring pleasure in the end.

The King of Swords (cusp of Capricorn, “I build,” ambitious, cautious, cunning, authoritative, and Aquarius, “I know,” friendships, the group, cause-oriented, aloof) is a good judge of people and situations. He uses his intellect to analyze, so he may not be compassionate but he is trustworthy, and he can be trusted to fiercely stand by his decisions.  He can be seen as one facet of the Justice card, and his kind of analysis based on experience and wisdom may be useful today.

The Shadowscapes King of Swords is seated on his throne, his mighty Sword held in his hands, point up, one boot resting on a skull.  On the sword sits Owl, symbolizing the wisdom to be found on the tip of the intellect that is his weapon; beside him are two ravens, dark as shadow (and shadow can only be present when there is illumination!). This King is a perfect blend of art, science and balance, and he is a wonderful example of a pillar of strength and morality.

The common thread between these two cards seems to be discipline, the discipline that in the end brings pleasure, and the discipline and awareness that brings wisdom.  I should be aware of how I present myself to others today, and not just focus on my own agenda.  Not that I should surrender either; serving others can bring its own brand of fulfillment.  And having the focus to take the high road also has its own reward; hopefully I will feel good when I go to bed tonight!!

I took a CPR/AED certification class last night, and I am now certified to perform CPR.  Hmmm . . . kind of makes sense that I would throw these two cards today, eh?  The discipline involved in learning these skills could help someone I love some day, and hopefully if I ever need to use these skills, the King of Swords will keep me level-headed and well-able to manifest these skills.

$>

No comments:

Post a Comment