Saturday, February 12, 2022

February 12, 2022: X of Wands and VII of Swords; Elemental Dignities

The True Black X of Wands image shows a golden Hercules beetle carrying ten sticks stacked on his back.  In the midst of those sticks is a smaller Hercules beetle, effortlessly riding along within the sticks piled high, and being carried by the larger beetle.  The keywords for this card are overwhelmed, burdened, struggling, and near goal. 

The image on the True Black VII of Swords shows a white rat, a known carrier of disease and symbol of betrayal, in front of a dark and shadowy curtain that is pierced from behind by the blades of six Swords.  Dangling ominously above the rat, point down, is a seventh golden Sword.  The keywords for this card are betrayal, thievery, plotting, and dishonor.

 

We talked about the meaning of the number 10 yesterday, and today we are dealing with that plateau or culmination with regard to the suit of Wands and the element of Fire.  The perfect metaphor here is last night’s campfire. We had fuel and we had heat and we had light throughout the dark and cold night. We are left this morning with a bit of smoke, the slightest of warmth, and a pile of ashes; no flames or illumination at all.  However, there is hope, for we just might have a “one match campfire,” and if we add a bit of fuel, we might be able to hang on a bit longer.

 

To me, the VII of Swords indicates the achievement of an empty victory by fighting hard to hold the current rules in place, even if they have become a danger to ourselves or to others.  The True Black VII of Swords represents this as well, with the added danger of the possibility this danger will be subverted or hidden to prevent interference.  In the Tarot, the number 7 can be seen as reaching a pause or pinnacle that allows us to determine whether we have gotten everything from a situation that is available, or if we need to get a bit more from what is available before turning away. Both card numbers bring a bit of stillness to the active nature of both Air and Fire. 

 

The element of Air represents the intellect, logic, clarity and discernment, and perhaps today I am being warned that I need to think before choosing a path.  If I cling to the methods that have gotten me this far, I may never get farther.  Am I happy where I am?  Or should I apply just a bit more fuel to the remains of yesterday’s fire?  Is the payback for the expended effort worth striving to keep the fire lit?  Even a few twigs could be enough to create one more flame.  I am also being warned that basing this decision solely on my own needs might end up weighing me down, for consequences are always in play, even if we can’t perceive them.  Renewing the flames could provide a bit of illumination that could transform stillness into action.

 

I’m pretty much using elemental dignities within most card interpretations, so after today I won’t mention it in my post title unless I am using a method that has not been addressed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment